Welcome to the website of the Quantum Optics and Spectroscopy group!
The group is headed by Prof. Rainer Blatt in close collaboration with a team of senior staff scientists who lead individual projects.
Our labs are located at the Institute for Experimental Physics of the University of Innsbruck and at the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, both in Innsbruck, Austria at the heart of the Alps.
Our experiments center on trapped ions, which we manipulate using laser light, with the ability to precisely control the states of individual particles as well as collective states.
In this context we investigate a wide range of topics:
- fundamental quantum optics: Barium, cQED, QuIQS, Nanofiber
- quantum computation: Linear Trap, QuIQS, SQIP, Ultrafast, CryoTrap, Rydberg
- quantum simulation: Linear Trap, QuIQS, Rydberg, 2D Arrays
- cavity quantum electrodynamics: cQED
- quantum metrology: Precision, Linear Trap, QuIQS
- scalability and other technological aspects of ion trapping: SQIP, 2D Arrays, CryoTrap